Saturday, November 1, 2008

Channeling My Energy Elsewhere

Keri Hilson is a woman of many labels. Supermodel gorgeous with serious leg cleavage as her strongest physical trait in a man's eyes, Hilson is also a supreme songwriter (she's a top member of the ATL-based songwriting clique The Clutch) who is stepping out there as a singer with her album that's set to drop shortly "In a perfect world." Her lead single "Energy" adds a new title to her list of credits for this blogger - Superheroine.

As anyone who has read my personal blog (The Post Game Show) knows, I spend entirely too much time angry, hurting, sad, shedding silent tears, punching walls, etc., over women who could care less about me. Basically I'm expending a ton of - yep, you guessed it - energy on something I can't control right now. When I first listened to this song in depth, it was one of those cathartic, climactic moments that ended with me thinking, "YES! I owe myself SO much more!" The bridge is what I mean, when she sings "now, I can feel you changing me, and I can't afford to slip much further from the person I was meant to be."

That bolded statement is key because what she's saying is, "I have things that I have to do for myself and right now, you're holding me back from doing those things." I swear, I take that passage of the song to heart nowadays because I know that while I am getting older (as if 27 is elderly), I can't make something happen that's not there. Right now, women aren't feeling me, and even worse, I haven't figured out what there is for me to like about myself. I can be thankful that my pursuit of women and sex hasn't interfered with my professional life, which is what should be the most important thing right now. So I guess it is finally time to spend time with me, get comfortable in my own company and develop the self-love that is necessary to survive. Whatever happens with women happens. I have to live with myself forever, might as well learn to love Chris as he is.

So thanks to Keri Hilson, "I'm not afraid to walk alone," but I really won't be walking alone. I'll be with someone special who has needed my love the whole time. And that's a cause worth spending my energy on.

3 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

her album just got pushed again... now not coming out until next year... I feel so bad for her... they should have dropped the album when energy was doing well.. now who knows if it will ever see the light of day

Mizrepresent said...

Great post Keith...love that last statement!

Anonymous said...

And the church said AMEN! @ "I can't make something happen that's not there." Sometimes I wish I could, but I have given up trying.