Sunday, July 19, 2009

And I don't need no hook for this hit...

Instrumental songs are rare in popular music because we've become so accustomed to personalities dominating the music biz that being in the background and letting the music talk is no longer an option. I've always been a fan of instrumentals because a lot of times, they help me focus on whatever task I'm handling without lyrics distracting me. So for my first entry on this blog in seven weeks (I thought I was going to update this regularly? LOL), I will share some of my favorite instrumental pieces and hopefully you guys can comment with some of your faves or what you think of my list.

Giorgio Moroder, "Chase" (Midnight Express Soundtrack, 1978): I just got put on to this one recently, like, Saturday. I always knew that the Midnight Express tag team in professional wrestling used a watered-down version of Chase, but I never listened to the full 8 1/2-minute version until Saturday and it was like, "WOW." For the late 70s, it definitely fit in with the movie it was crafted for, and the sound is just incredible. Primitive synth flavor, I like to call it. Stevie Wonder brought synthesizers and clavinets to the forefront earlier in the decade, so Moroder wasn't using anything new, but just the breaks, the 8-part beat, the choice of sounds - just sick. I was also amused to find that CBS used this for its NBA highlights package in the 1979-80 season.

Paul Hardcastle, "Rainforest" (1984): This has LONG been a favorite, probably going back to those Saturdays and Sundays me and my family would be driving around going to the mall or to the Eastern Shore to visit family there. Didn't find out the artist and the title until Dennis Jones, sports information director at DSU was glad to tell me when I heard it playing in his office about three or four years ago. Definitely one of the best driving songs ever (a blog entry to come on that subject soon, I promise) because if you have great scenery or a bright blue sky kind of day going, you'll be in the car whistling along, getting to your destination with a smile.

George Benson, "Breezin" (1976): The Jazz Guitar legend definitely let his ax do the talking while gentle flutes and a mellow drum kick provide background support. The title really says it all, because you can definitely listen to this one with a breeze flowing and just feel relaxed and happy. More often than not, I feel like I'm on an island somewhere with beautiful women to kick it with and flawless fruit to eat every time I hear this cut.

Kool & The Gang, "Summer Madness" (1974): The Bass Guitar, the synth holler, the rhythm lead guitar, this is as good as it gets. Of course, this is better known to my generation as the joint Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff sampled for "Summertime," but when you're taking it down after a long summer day and watching the sun set and watching the stars in the sky, this joint provides the perfect soundtrack.

The Art of Noise, "Moments In Love" (1984): This one pretty much speaks for itself. The piano intro, the conga drums all equals sexy, seductive and mood-setting. This one still makes it onto a lot of late night slow jam playlists to this day. Back then, folks were making tapes, now we have playlists. How times change.

If you have any instrumentals you want to share, feel free to leave them in the comments or comment on my fave five if you like.

No comments: